Would-Be Terror Attacker Charged With Terrorism

Would-Be Terror Attacker Charged With Terrorism

The latest on the would-be suicide bomber who reportedly botched his attempted terror attack:

Per the NYPD:

UPDATE: Akayed Ullah, the suspect arrested in yesterday’s terror attack in NYC, has been charged with the following:

• Criminal Possession of a Weapon

• Support Act of Terrorism

• Making Terroristic Threat

From ABCSeven.com:

The charging document said law enforcement personnel found a 9-volt battery inside Ullah’s pants pocket, wires connected to the battery running under his jacket and fragments of metal pipe. There was also a remnant of what appeared to be a Christmas tree light bulb attached to the wires.

According to the document, Ullah made statements indicating he “was inspired by ISIS to carry out” the attack. He said: “I did it for the Islamic State.”

The suspect … is from Bangladesh and has been in the country for six years. Authorities say he entered the US on an F4 visa, a family-based visa, and lived at an address in Brooklyn. The FBI searched several locations in the borough.

The pipe bomb was assembled in the suspect’s apartment, officials said, in an attack he is believed to have been planning for a year.

 

From Monday:

The New York Port Authority has re-opened after a would-be suicide bomber’s attempted terror attack Monday morning during the city’s rush hour at the bus terminal transit hub, arguably the busiest in the country.

He is reportedly seriously wounded; police say three others are injured, though so far, none seriously.

The New York Post reports that the suspect is in custody:

The man — a 27-year-old Brooklyn man identified by high ranking police sources as Akayed Ullah — had wires attached to him and a 5-inch metal pipe bomb and battery pack strapped to his midsection as he walked through the Manhattan transit hub.

The man partially detonated the device, which he was carrying under the right side of his jacket, prematurely inside the passageway to the A, C and E trains at Eighth Avenue and West 42nd Street around 7:40 a.m., sources said.

 

@NYCityAlerts, a twitter feed by a “team of reporters tweeting NYC news,” got access to the security cameras under review after the incident:

 

CBSNews:

Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the suspect used a low-tech device and that the injuries of near-by transit riders were minor (three reported so far). We hope they go well, he added of the injured.

New Yorkers once again showed the nation and the world that they live in one tough city: Within two hours hour of the bombing attempt, the Port Authority bus and transit station had re-opened. Residents and visitors to the holiday bustle eventually went about their business.

This is what Gov. Cuomo got at in his remarks earlier Monday: “Let’s go back to work.” The terrorist attempts, he added, want to stymie the normal pace of life, to cause society to freeze up in terror. “That’s exactly what they want and that’s exactly what they’re not going to get.”

“Thank God the perpetrator did not achieve his ultimate goals,” said New York Mayor Bill DeBlasio Monday in a press conference. “Thank God for the first responders who were there so quickly to make sure people were safe.”

Everything about this case is ongoing. This post will be updated throughout the day.

Setting the Lens on a $1-Trillion Infrastructure Plan
With Tax Cut Bill Signed, a Shift to Infrastructure
Ahead of Tax Reform Bill, a Revving Economy
DoJ Sues to Block AT&T-Time Warner Vertical Giga-Deal