I call it Shoeleather Research and Reporting, or SL2R for short to sum up my operating principle regarding research and reporting to cover all facets of construction technology, and technology’s impact on society.
Burning up shoeleather is a mindset that any team I’ve been a part of brings to the work at hand. While this is my personal blog about Construction, Technology, and Media, you can read more about what we do for clients at SL2R.com
Some of my bio and background:
Communications Director, Northeast Regional Council of Carpenters, Edison, N.J.
- Led critical messaging strategies to update local building trade unions, staff and public after merger of 13,000-member Metropolitan Regional Council of Carpenters (PA) with 30,000-member NRCC, re-branding across six-state region. Produced effective speeches for leadership, marketing newsletters, news coverage, advertising packages on social media, press releases and public-policy/legislative messaging in real-time.
Managing Editor, Engineering News-Record magazine and network, New York, N.Y.
- Editorial management-leader of 30+ staff for daily website and weekly print publications producing thought leadership and high-impact content for engineering, contractors, architects and owners in construction.
- Winner of numerous Neal Awards for excellence in business journalism (Hurricane Sandy, Critical Infrastructure series, business-to-business website).
- Change management success: Led digital transformation of ENR magazine and digital network with effective internal communications to reorganize seven publications and drive new business; devised new workflows for print-to-digital content platforms.
- Team lead on Six Sigma project to modernize construction economics data collection; key team member on platform improvements for ENR Top Lists of industry rankings.
- Key point person working with agile development team to reach all milestones ahead of new app launches; devised strategic content for new technology conferences, webinars to influence construction buy-in, drive thought leadership in industry.
Editorial Director, branded content studio, @NBCU, New York, N.Y.
- Key editorial role with NBCU custom publishing group, which partnered with Proctor & Gamble to develop editorial and content marketing strategies for custom website aimed at Baby Boomers, “LifeGoesStrong.com,” with content verticals such as technology, health care, fashion, family life.
- Advised developers on workflow developments for editors; recruited top writers for site; devised editorial guide, publishing manual; developed video scripts for P&G Productions.
Executive Editor, InternetNews.com Channel, New York, N.Y. (Jupitermedia)
- Led editorial management and growth of InternetNews.com, a business-to-business daily web network serving Information Technology professionals, including coverage of Government Regulation, Telecommunications Infrastructure, Networking, webDev.
- Devised training manuals and fostered culture of editorial excellence in coverage of technology infrastructure best practices, attracting new advertising clients and sales.
- Key leadership role in successful redesign to enhance interactivity and engagement; led changes to internal content management system (CMS) to grow traffic, improve User Experiences and drive more engagement with audience.
- Developed unique spreadsheet tools with ad-sales team to measure audience engagement with content and earned media reach; pioneered social media strategies.
Senior Editor, American Banker magazine group (Source Media), New York, N.Y.
- Built deep knowledge of key information technology issues in the financial services industry while covering emerging web services, legacy platforms and middleware for wholesale banking platforms.
- Covered emerging use of online financial tools for consumers, security, regulations governing financial data and services.
Enterprising, freelance writer for the following:
New York Times – Metro and Education desks – stringer
Covered spot news for reporters on the newspaper’s metro and education desks such as a fire in a Washington Heights, education issues, while working on graduate degree at Columbia University.
Bridge News – Markets Reporter
Wrote daily digests of market-moving stories for financial wire service subscribers, including traders and investment banks; researched bond ratings, provided quarterly earnings coverage.
Institutional Investor – freelance writer, editor
Covered 1998 meetings of World Bank for Emerging Markets magazine; researched sovereign credit ratings in wake of Asian currency crisis to prepare coverage of on-site meetings and hearings of world’s central bankers.
Businessweek.com – freelance writer
Executive Administration, Goldman Sachs (1996-1998):
Supported vice presidents and managing partners in investment banking division while self-financing graduate degree at Columbia University; special assignment as executive admin support for Chief Executive Officer.
Before New York part of my journalism career:
- Radio reporter for WERZ, Exeter, N.H. (1988-89), including covering ’88 Presidential Primary.
- Regional news stringer for WBZ Radio, Boston, and N.H. Associated Press broadcast bureau in Concord.
- Staff writer for Portsmouth Herald newspaper, (1989-1990), covering major construction project: Seabrook nuclear plant; Portsmouth Naval Shipyard; Pease Air Force base closure and redevelopment.
- Promoted to Exeter, NH, bureau chief for Portsmouth Herald.
- News Director, WHEB-FM in Portsmouth, N.H. (1990-93); on-air news updates during morning drive program; covered sensational Pamela Smart murder trial, secured exclusive interview with William Flynn, the teenager at the heart of the murder scandal which attracted worldwide coverage; freelanced for the Boston Globe newspaper.
- Maintained quarterly public records for FCC while programming weekly hour-long news/public affairs show for WHEB-FM; N.H.